February ProgBlog #1: pingpong

5개월 전

On Tuesday I posted this screenie of Zara in showoff pose on ko-fi

and that's where I'm still currently stuck while the next few moves work themselves out in my head.

It was a good excuse to jump back to Red and redo the retopo. My edge loops are probably not the best right now but they were a lot worse on my original retopo, no wonder I was having so much trouble with deformations. Not to mention it was probably a lot heavier than it should have been. Having said that it was kind of an experiment in seeing if I could get high poly to work and I'm not smart enough so I'll stick with mid poly and subdivision surfaces. And fix all the edge loops while I'm about it because there was no coming back from that one.

And of course seeing as I was doing the retopo and also had to redo the normal map I figured I may as well just fix the sculpt properly so I can bake it (I don't think I baked the sculpt properly for Red and just painted the normal map as the sculpt was unaffected by the mess the bake shells make). He's supposed to pretty toned but more on the slender side, and I'd erred on the side of making him a bit too skinny like a teenager (he's currently early 30s) so I started fixing that, and fixing the mesh on the way as it kept breaking/tearing in parts.

I'm not sure why he was blue, I must have been experimenting with something or other at some stage. The sculpt models are meant to be that kind of clayey colour. Anyway in reworking the mesh I accidentally gave him vitiligo. I did start on the wing fingers as they all needed thickening (especially the inner two) and ended up jumping onto his body and thickening things up a little there, I haven't moved down to his legs yet.

And because I really love finding major problems when it's really hard to fix (seriously why didn't I notice this much, much earlier in the base model I ask you), I realised when I spun him round to work on back muscles that a) the tail is way too bloody high up like seriously what in the actual hell was wrong with me that I missed something so blatant forever) and b) with how ridiculously long Dragonkin tails are the base connection was so thin it would probably snap off.

So that was another thing to fix.

This should work better. I'll have to remember to adjust the base model and the tail rig when I get around to fixing them up (which will be much easier in Blender). Don't mind the kinks in the tail, that happened when I moved it down (with a giant move brush which was...entertaining). I'm since moving along making it thicker and really not looking forward to hitting this bit

where I honestly for the life of me do not have a clue what happened there to break it so badly.

I also finally figured the build clay brush seems to be smoother than live or general clay so have been using that when drawing/sculpting alongside close hole and clean clay (which is currently on reconstruct as that gets rid of the weird areas without changing the outline too much).

This is probably going to take me a while (but hopefully not as long as starting from scratch). At least a lot of the retopo is done in my head so hopefully that will translate relatively quickly.

This post also appears on my blog.

Teenagers are worse than toddlers for not going to bed when you tell them to.

Want a crowd character? If you interact frequently with me here (either on my posts or your posts or better yet both!) or on one of the linked Discord channels, all you have to do is let me know and tell me what you'd like :) It can be one of your characters (including ones you make up on the spot for this XD) or a self insert. There's a bunch of different human types to choose from, and pets/other animals are also welcome.

Thanks for looking! ^_^

Come hang out on Discord with us!

#teamaustralia on PAL | ANZ | Be Awesome | steemartists

-={ commission info | ko-fi }=-

The steemaroo divider is free to use. Ask me nicely if you want an upgoat/cute critter footer.

Authors get paid when people like you upvote their post.
If you enjoyed what you read here, create your account today and start earning FREE STEEM!
STEEMKR.COM IS SPONSORED BY
ADVERTISEMENT
Sort Order:  trending

Crickey so much effort, but great looking results todate

·

Thanks ^_^

It is a bit of effort and on the one hand I'm hoping it "pays off" (because being able to be the primary earner so J can take over all the stuff I don't like doing would be absolutely epic) and on the other well I'm having fun and that's all that matters right ;D

Mesh topography is a constant nightmare that will never end. It always seems like there's a more and more efficient way to lay out your model, but then you get to the point where you've got so much funky stuff going on its easier to fix than start from scratch... but you spend more time fixing than what you would've done starting from scratch...

At least that was my experience in 3d modelling.

Great work!

·

I think I've more or less got the hang of a humanoid shape and then there's these bastiches with extra bits XD

Ergh I've lost count of the number of times I've started from scratch because it was a lot easier than trying to fix the epic mess I'd made x_x I think this one is easier to work on than start over (mostly because I really, really don't want to do the twisty horns from hell again and everything aside from the tail position and the borked mesh are pretty minor edits). I won't be using the sculpt mesh for anything other than retopo reference anyway because it's one of these

Screenshot_20200208_083236.png

But yeh I'm starting to think that it's a very common experience with 3d modelling at least at the outset XD

Thanks ^_^