So for today’s #make-orbake I have been crafting all day on a new canvas piece of art.
My step daughter sat opposite me doing her paintings and decided to try her hand at the canvas art I was creating too.
So both of us sat and crafted today while the boys played on their computer games. Funnily enough one was playing a space game - Elite Dangerous. The nebulas in the game are absolutely beautiful and I wanted one of my own for the wall so I set to work.
I found the colours I’d like to used and laid them out to see the colours properly. They have to be permanent markers, I believe, for this to work.
Next I needed surgical spirt and a pipette.
And a canvas. I got this with a stand but the stand is in use for a framed friend’s present
All I did was scribble a few colours onto the canvas but I did it in a diagonal sort of fashion.
I built up the picture with blocks of colours.
Until all the canvas was covered - this really doesn’t need to be neat its a very messy art piece.
Next I took some surgical spirt with the pipette and dropped it onto the canvas.
All over it. I soaked it. It covered the canvas and the table and me but like I said messy.
Once I was happy with it I put it to one side.
As I was waiting for the canvas to dry I needed to figure out where I was going to put things.
This particular canvas is about A4 in size and I’m really picky with things so I got a piece of A4 to help me divide the canvas up into the sections I wanted.
I folded the sheet in half and cut. And the made a square for the moon and the other side was folded in half before making another square for the star as I wanted that a little smaller. I then drew an 8 point star and cut that out.
In order to get the moon shape I needed a circle and as I don’t have a compas to hand I used a bowl.
Once I had the circle I needed to fold it so I had evenly spaced lines across the circle. I then numbered it from 0 to what ever it went to but in this case it was 63.
I added sparkles to the dry canvas with glitter glue and dots I had from a left over project.
I lay the pieces onto my now dry canvas. The fairy in the corner was used to put a little shimmer around where the wings would end up with a little bit of metallic paint.
I was going to do a string art onto this canvas by sewing through it but I needed holes for that so I got my pins and stuck them trough the points I wanted. For the star it was at the points and 1cm increments down the folds (where the dots are)
For the moon I needed a pin hole at the lines around the circle from 0 to 63.
Once I had finished putting the holes in I threaded my needle with a wonderful thread that glows in the dark so the star is in a yellow glow in the dark thread. I began to sew the star first.
The thread for the moon is also glow in the dark white thread.
The moon is a little complicated I came across this on Pinterest. Yes I probably refer to Pinterest in almost every one of my posts but I love it for the ideas.
So the moon is a cardioid - this particular outcome of the string art was created using the 2 times table.
You start at 0 and continue around the circle until you get to use all the numbers at 63 in my case.
0 x 2 = 0
1 x 2 = 2
2 x 2 = 4
3 x 2 = 6
4 x 2 = ......... and so on using 0 as 64 and 1 as 65 and 2 as 66 etc.
Eventually you get a beautiful cardioid, I think it looks like a crescent moon.
I stitched around the edge of the moon to make the moon shape stand out more. I secured the thread I had left loose at the back with clear sellotape.
This is my completed nebular picture I really think it came out well and it’ll be joining my little one on our wall at a later date.