In the start of 2020 I will make a Kickstarter for the first album of my comic about Phill from GCHQ - and that means I will have to make a video.. So for this video I need of course to remain in the Katharsisdrill body. Therefore I have today modelled and sculpted a 3d version of the Katharsisdrill logo.
I use open source software for all my project and when creating 3d art I use Blender. The new 2.8 version has recently been released and the fact that I can sculpt directly using my Wacom Cintic makes it all much easier.
I started by making the drill and it was surprisingly easy using the screw modifier. But when I started sculpting I just jumped into it and it was suddenly not that easy. 3D takes normally is best planned out a bit in advance, at least in my experience, but today I was impatience and turned on all the levers at the same time. It looked messy, and it was. But suddenly it also looked like old hammered metal. So I just kept doing what I did and in the end my incompetence had became an asset. It looked old and battered. Here is the finished piece:
My knowledge of maps and such also helped. Here is the diffuse map and the roughness map. The first one is simply the colours and the second one decides how shiny a thing is.
If I can get it done I will make some footage where you can see my body and with this head on top - moving and all!