Hello 50-word story-writing enthusiasts! Our friend @miniature-tiger is currently on a hiatus from Steemit. In the interest of supporting this wonderful initiative, at least temporarily, I'm providing a prompt here and a 2 SBD reward for the best #fiftywords story. I'm also providing some motivation to support your fellow writers. Read on!
(Image credit: Original image by pixel2013, Pixabay)
50-word story contest rules
The deadline for entries is Saturday, March 10th, 2018, midnight CST. Winner to be announced on Sunday March 11, 2018.
The prompt for this contest is "bark." You can use any interpretation of the word you like.
- Upvote and resteem this post to help support the contest and give it some visibility.
- Write a 50-word story incorporating the prompt word: bark. (Note that posts of exactly 50 words will have an edge in the contest!)
- Post your story to your blog, using the #fiftywords tag, and submit your link in the comments here.
- If you include an image, it must be your own or one you have the right to use, and it must be properly credited to the artist or photographer.
These aren't rules, but they will give you a leg up in the contest.
- Write a captivating title. Grab our attention.
- Set your story in an identifiable place, scene, or environment, even if it's made up, and make something happen. The trick with just 50 words is to immerse your reader into the story immediately. You have no words to spare.
- Add an image. You'd be amazed how it adds to your story to have an accompanying illustration.
- Edit your story for grammar. Excellent grammar is a huge plus.
- Upvote and comment on at least two other 50-word stories.
What's a 50-word story?
If you are new to this format, here is the idea: Write a short-short story in just 50 words. Convey a moment in time that helps us to imagine the larger scene or world around it.
I'll provide some examples of my own 50-word posts. As you will see, they range from a sorrowful piece about loss and grieving to historic fiction, science fiction, humor, and fantasy. There's even a pirate story. In other words, you can really have fun with this mechanism. My 50-word stories:
- Time to say goodbye
- Mermaid dreams
- The man in hiding
- Getting to know you
- Conspirators and lies
- Departure from Castle Island
- Ghost fair
- The map
The 50-word story clan
I'm mentioning you here if you were tagged in Miniature Tiger's most recent post, or I know you are interested in this story format. Please let me know if you would like your tag removed in this or future posts.
@ablaze, @anjkara, @awhsarada
@bentheredonethat, @bhop42moro, @bitsendpieces, @brandonsadventur, @bryarose23
@carlosparejo, @charlesmackenzie, @curtwriter
@deirdyweirdy, @dinavice, @dirge, @divineinyang
@eaglespirit, @ebitularmbert, @elementm, @enjar, @evgsk
@iamthegray, @isa93, @isufbakaj
@janine-ariane, @jakeybrown, @jayna, @joyyrush
@marie-jay, @maxiemoses-eu, @metzli, @mikesthoughts, @mineopoly, @miniature-tiger
@navaneeth, @negativer, @niallon11, @nicolexu1337
@paintingangels, @pixiehunter, @poeticnest, @preparedwombat, @purpledaisy57, @pyrowngs
@saoirseronan, @spalatino, @sukhasanasister, @superjongky
@thatlovechild, @theblackcrow, @therosepatch, @tiatu, @tibra, @tin-tin, @tony-duke
@whitewizard, @wilfredn, @wordsalmighty, @wylde
Thanks for participating and good luck!