Filipino chicken stew or Chicken Kaldereta is most Filipino family’s favorite viand. Fried and stewed in tomato sauce. It is also served usually during parties and festive occasions. This rich and flavorful dish is best partnered with rice. The dish has a rich and thick sauce that is similar to Mechado - another tomato based stew.
Making chicken Kaldereta is easy, You can add or alter ingredients to add different flavors. In this dish, I have deleted the liver spread and used only cheddar cheese, For marination, i used the lime juice instead of Pineapple juice.
Marinating the chicken for few hours will add more flavor to the dish
- Chicken (1 kilo, cut in medium pieces)
- Tomato sauce (500g)
- Water or rice water
- Potato ( quareterd)
- Carrot ( sliced)
- Capsicum (green/red, sliced)
- Frozen peas (½ cup)
- bay leaves
- Pandan leaves (optional)
- Lime juice
- Soy sauce
- Marinate the chicken with soy sauce and lime juice
- Fry the marinated chicken, few pieces at a time and set aside, ( avoid overcrowding the pan so it won’t get watery when you fry)
- In the same pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil and saute the garlic and onion until soft
- Add the potato and carrots and cover with lid for few minutes
- Add the fried chicken and stir
Add the tomato sauce, bay leaves, pandan leaves and rice water
Bring to boil then simmer until the vegetables are tender
Add the capsisums
Add the green peas
- Add the cheese
- Season with salt and pepper
- Serve warm with rice
And there you have it, Delicious Chicken kaldereta. Try it for yourself, I'm sure your family will love it!
Thank you for coming with me, tune up for another easy and tasty dish that will savour you and your family’s palate.