I am recently in love with Egg Pie. This delicious sweet is popular in the Philippines. I remember buying it each time in a local bakery for 10 pesos or a few cents in dollar per slice.
It's creamy, egg custard and flaky crust is perfect for anytime of the day. Some like it warm, fresh from the oven and some like it chilled in the fridge. I like the latter.
This recipe i am using is not a too sweet custard, it's more like a taste of creme caramel and it's excellent in taste if you prefer it not too sweet.
Without further ado, here is the recipe
For the Pie crust
1 ¾ cup, All purpose flour, sifted
2 tbsp, White sugar
½ tsp, Salt
¾ cup, Butter (cold, cut in cubes)
1, Egg yolk
4 tbsp, Milk (cold)
For the Filling
340g, Sweetened condensed milk
340g, Fresh milk
2 tsp, Vanilla essence
1, Egg white
- To make the crust, Combine the flour, sugar and salt.
- Add the cold butter and massage it to the mixture.
- Add the egg yolk and mix.
- Then add the cold milk and mix lightly with your hand for a few minutes. Don’t overmix.
- Cover it with and let it rise in the fridge for 1 hour.
- To make the Pie filling, Warm the milk and condensed milk in a medium heat sauce pan. Mix it lightly to avoid burning. Transfer in a separate bowl and let it cool.
- Meanwhile, Beat the egg white until soft peak stage. Set aside.
- Once the mixture has cooled down, Add the eggs one at a time and combine well.
- Add the vanilla essence.
- Add the soft peak egg white and fold it to the mixture. Set aside.
- Knead your dough for a few minutes. Roll the dough and transfer it to the pan.
- Prick the dough with a fork and place it in a freezer for 10 minutes before putting the filling mixture.
- Add the mixture filling and tap the pan to prevent bubbles.
- Place it in a Preheated oven for 170 degree celsius for 20 minutes and reduce it to 140 degree celsius and bake it for 1 - 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Chilling the dough before rolling it out will make the Pastry dough easy to work with by making a time for the gluten to settle.
Enjoy this savoury and delicious creamy custard Egg pie in the comfort of your kitchen.
Have you tried Egg Pie? What do you think of this dessert?
Thank you for coming.