What is Moringa and Its Benefits?
This superfood vegetable is widely cultivated in asia, It belongs to a species of the Genus moringa - which is only the genus in the family of Moringaceae. In English, we called it Drumstick tree or Malunggay in Tagalog. It is common in asia and a popular vegetable in asian cuisine. The leaves is added in soups while the pods is ideal to add in vegetable stew or noodle dishes.
Scientific name : Moringa Oleifera
Consumed as : Fresh or Dried
Moringa is considered as a Superfood. It has a High amount of minerals and nutrients compared to the other vegetables. It can cure many diseases and a good source for lactation. This super vegetable has endless benefits.
- It has more Protein than an egg
- High in Vitamin C than an Orange
- It contains 20x of Iron more than a spinach
- Contains more Potassium than banana
- 17x more calcium than milk9
- 10x high in vitamin A than carrot
Benefits of Moringa
- High in vitamins, amino acids and minerals.It regulates blood sugar and diabetes
- It improves eyesight, osteoporosis and brain function
- Prevents anemia
- It cleanses liver
- Ideal for lactating Mother
- Treats asthma
- It can prevent hemorrhoids and varicose veins
- It regulates cholesterol level
- It boost immunity
- It helps to balance the hormones naturally
Leaves and seeds of the Moringa tree are edible. The barks and roots can be used aa Natural medicine. Moringa has been used in traditional healing, Ayurveda for thousands of years.
It can be eaten fresh or dried. According to the latest studies, Moringa increases milk production and lactation, It can also boost the immune system during gestation. ￼
These are some common ways to use Moringa:
- Dried Moringa leaves
- Moringa tea
- Moringa oil
- Moringa seeds
Moringa leaves are the most potent and nutritious part of the tree.
How to Grow Moringa
Moringa easily grows and cultivates in tropical climates. They love warm, dry and sunny climates. They thrive at 70 - 90 degrees temperature and need a little water and a little fertilizer in order to have a good produce. They can grow very tall that makes their leaves hard to reach, so Pruning in considerable height is ideal.
I love to add Moringa leaves in my dishes and I would like to share you one of my favorite soup with Moringa leaves.
Ingredients for my Lentil soup with Moringa leaves:
- Lentils (1 cup)
- Tomatoes (2 medium size, chopped)
- Moringa leaves
- Coriander leaves (roughly chopped)
- Eggplant (sliced)
- Turmeric powder (½ tsp)
- Black pepper
- Soaked the lentils overnight. (the longer It soaks in the water, the quicker it cooks).
- Wash the lentils and Add the right amount of water (3 cups).
- Add salt and spices of turmeric and black pepper.
- Put it in a medium heat and boiled
- Once boiled, Simmer and add the eggplant, tomatoes, and moringa leaves. Cook for a few minutes.
Eat well for a healthier body, mind and soul.
Thank you for coming with me.