12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it
"If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it" These are the words of Christ.
Prayer is important in our daily walk with God. In order to glorify the Lord and live a life of victory, we must pray. Prayer is not God's suggestions but His command as stated in 1 Thessalonians 5:17 that " Pray without ceasing ".
It is quite surprising that most Christians including some pastors do not have daily contact with the Lord through prayers. Some Christians are busy with administrative, family and other issues so much so that they do not spend time with the Lord daily.Prayer can be defined as the personal appeal to a personal God based upon His will; practicing the presence of the Lord, and also seeking help in matters beyond our power.
Let us now shift our attention to some of the importance of prayer, reasons why people do not pray and the results of prayerlessness.
Prayer has the power to:
- Cleanse our hearts from sin. cf: Psalm 19:12-13 KJV
- Hold you and keep your walking with the Lord. Psalm 17:5 KJV
- Make you prosperous. 2 Chronicles 23:5 kjv
- Bring in the Holy Spirit in all His fullness. Acts 2:4 KJV
- Bring salvation to others. 1 John 5:16 KJV
- When the fear of God leaves. Job 15:4 KJV
- Because they do not delight in the Lord. Job 27:10 KJV
- Because they have no knowledge of God. Psalm 14:4 KJV
- Because they become tired of God. Isaiah 43:22 KJV
- Because they become brutish i.e. to be consumed, to lose the fire, hard hearted,etc) Jeremiah 10:21 KJV
- When people go back to their old lives. Zephaniah 1:6
Read Job 21:14-21
- Those who do not pray have no guidance or counsel. vs 16
- They have no light. vs 17
- There is no protection vs 17
- There is no preservation of life. vs 18
- There is no forgiveness of sinvs 19
- There is no blessing for him vs 20
- There is no blessings upon his descendants. vs 21
We must admit that prayer is omnipotent, because prayer can do anything God can do and God can do all things. We must begin to abide in the Lord through prayers and we shall live a victorious life.
WE SHALL CONTINUE TOMORROW WITH HOW YOU CAN PRAY EFFECTIVELY AS A CHRISTIAN. May the grace of the Lord abound in your life, may anything that is dead in your life be it sickness, financial crisis, etc receive life in the name of Jesus Christ