The daily COVID chronicle - May 24, 2020
In no particular order, here are today's links from Steem and from my RSS feed. Please consider clicking through to upvote any Steem post(s) on the list.
Also, feel welcome to discuss any of the links in comments. 10% of the rewards from this post have been assigned to each of the authors of the Steem links, and 65% have been assigned to the experimental @penny4thoughts account in order to reward substantive replies.
(Note: Sharing does not imply agreement or endorsement.)
pixabay license: source
As mentioned in previous posts, here is a visualization tool for mapping the cases of COVID-19 occurrences.
According to the site, this morning's worldwide number of reported cases was 5,335,868 with 2,124,851 recoveries, 341,549 fatalities, and 1,622,990 cases in the United States (US). This represents 11,299 new US cases, which is a decline of 22,634 as compared to yesterday.
Of the US cases, the site reports 361,239 recoveries, 96,046 deaths, and 13,784,786 total tests administered. In my own state, Pennsylvania, the site reports 71,009 cases with 385,452 total tests administered, 39,519 recoveries, and 5,112 deaths.
Compared to numbers from two weeks ago, numbers of recoveries at the state, national, and international levels all remain implausibly low.
- Steem @rt-international: French industrialist calls for 5G MORATORIUM amid Covid-19, conspiracy theories & burning of masts - Excerpt: The CEO of French telecoms firm Bouygues has called on the government to postpone auctions for 5G frequencies, citing the ongoing coronavirus pandemic and public mistrust of the technology.
- Steem @pomeline: Lockdowns beginning to ease, but we are far from going back to normal.
- Steem @beelzebubba: Feelings about Covid are almost entirely along party lines... coincidence?
- What the Birth of Crypto Can Predict for the Post-COVID-19 World - Subtitle: The coronavirus outbreak may become the catalyst that will reveal the benefits of libertarian solutions and technology, such as cryptocurrency.
- Informal Transit Is Crucial for Some. Can It Weather Covid-19? - Subtitle: The pandemic highlights the vulnerability of workers for private transportation services, which are essential to mobility in global south cities.
- ‘I have a mortgage to pay’: Sex workers banned from small-business loans under CARES Act due to ‘prurient sexual nature’ - Subtitle: Andre Shakti majored in deaf studies and psychology at college, helps to support her father, and works as a stripper, dominatrix and sex educator
- The 10th and Final Edition of Coronavirus Humor
Here is a video:
- When COVID-19 is a joke: Stand-up comedy versus livestreaming’s limits - Subtitle: At least one upstart has ideas, but it doesn't have 800 million+ users.
- Debt, coronavirus push Hertz into bankruptcy protection - Subtitle: Rental car company says it and its subsidiaries will continue to operate during restructuring after lenders refuse to extend debt payments
- Security News This Week: Look Out for This Covid-19 Excel Phishing Scam - Subtitle: Plus: An iOS leak, an EasyJet breach, and more of the week's top security news.
- Philadelphia's consumer spending bounces back to pre-pandemic levels