- Businesses representing 80% of the UK's meat sector have vowed to slash emissions and waste on a "farm-to-fork" basis. The new pledge ‘meat in a net-zero world’, is being co-ordinated by non-profit WRAP, as an offshoot of its Food Waste Reduction Roadmap scheme.
- Its aim is to prevent more than 150,000 tonnes of meat from being wasted in the UK every year, equivalent to 27% of the total amount sent to landfill on an annual basis..
- This waste is estimated to cost the national economy £1.5bn and is a contributor to greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, given that meat is carbon-intense to produce in the first instance and that food waste gives off GHGs in landfill. Recent research from OurWorldInData found that 6% of global annual GHG emissions are attributable to food waste, and a further 26% to other parts of the food value chain.
- The ‘meat in a net-zero world’ pledge has been signed by all major grocery retailers, along with meat processors, hospitality and foodservice giants. In total, 38 businesses have signed –collectively responsible for 80% of the UK’s meat production.
- Trade bodies including the National Farmers Union (NFU), Agriculture and Horticultural Development Board (AHDB), British Meat Processors Association (BMPA), British Poultry Council (BPC), British Retail Consortium (BRC), Hybu Cig Cymru (HCC), National Pig Association (NPA), Quality Meat Scotland (QMS) and the Sustainable Restaurant Association (SRA) have also pledged their support.
Analysis and Comments
- What is impressive in this initiative was the broad base of the support, with retailer, farmers and food services companies all involved.
- Such broad based campaign’s, especially those that capture the nations attention, stand the best chance of making a real difference. One obvious one was the impact of the Blue Planet TV series on perceptions around plastic use.
- One that is less well known dates back to 2008, which was successful in switching the consumption of chicken away from batteries. The campaign that changed the eating habits of a nation
Proud member of: