Explain the Subject-Verb agreement in your words.
Subject-verb Agreement referred to the relationship between the subject and the predicate in a sentence. So the subject and the verb in a sentence must agree on each other. It means that if the subject is singular, the verb must be also singular. For example, I understand the assignment. Therefore the word " I " in the sentence is singular then the word "Understand" is also singular.
Then if the subject is plural the verb must be plural also. For example, These clothes are too small for me. So in this sentence, the word " Clothes " is plural and the word "Are" is also plural.
Search and Explore the 7 rules you have learned and explain in your own words how you understand them. Provide 5 examples with each of the 7 rules you have learned.
When two or more subjects are joined by the word " and " are to be considered as plural and the required verb must be also in a plural form without adding the letter "s". Example:
- Marissa, Angel, and Leah run to the ground.
- Leah and her sisters climb to the mountain.
- Liam and his sister walk to the market.
- Benjie, Rizahmae, and Peter drink liquors.
- Sugar and flour are needed for the recipe.
When the subject is modified by the words " each " or " every " then the subject is considered to be singular and then the verb must be singular that ends with a letter"s". Example:
- Every man and woman is required to have the vaccine.
- Each cat and dog runs to the house.
- Every people likes peanuts.
- Each girl loves to sing.
- Each vaccine has a purpose.
When the plural subject are joined by this word "or", "not", or " but", the verb must agree with the subject that is closest to it. Example:
- Either Leah or her brother runs to the hospital.
- Neither Leah nor her brothers walk to the market
- Not Angel but her sisters run to the gate.
- Not Angel but her sister walks to the gate.
- Either dog or cat eats the food on the table.
When indefinite pronouns are being used, it is usually a singular subject and we must take a singular verb by adding the words by letter "s" at the end of every word. Example :
- Everyone loves to sing.
- Nobody eats cake.
- Everything comes with us.
- Somebody loves you.
- No one walks the hallway.
To identify the subject of a verb, we must isolate the phrase in the sentence and find the proper subject. Example :
- The Chicken hen (with all of her chicks) swims to the pond.
- The Mother Cat ( including her kitten ) eats the food on the plate.
- The Principal (with all of her teachers) dines in the restaurant.
- My Mother (including her nephew ) walks to the gasoline station.
- The Pig (with all of her piglets) eats their food in the bowl.
Some of the indefinite pronouns and nouns will be singular or plural but it will depend on the object of the prepositional phrase in the sentence. The words are constantly about numbers or amounts such as all,
half, some, none, most, part, etc Example:
- Some (of the students) are gone.
- The Principal and all (of her teachers) dines in the restaurant.
- Most Students and all (of the teacher) attend the graduation.
- None of the witnesses and all (of the convict) attends the hearing.
- Some (of the cake) is gone.
When a collective noun is used as a subject in a sentence, therefore the verb that is being used will be in the singular form which ends with a letter "s". These collective nouns include the following words: family, group, committee, or class. Example :
- My family with all my friends always dines at the restaurant.
- The committee conducts a meeting with the president.
- The class resumes tomorrow.
- The group is having a charity event.
- Leah's family with all her cousins dance to the ground.
Thank you for the opportunity to learn for free. This is very helpful for me especially in creating content here in steemit. God bless you all.
I will not able to use club5050 because i have withdrawn in my wallet for our charity event last sunday.