I hope you are all safe! Last night my sweet tooth kept whispering to my ear that I had been neglecting her so into the kitchen I went to make this delicious custard pie and buttery crust!
I have rheumatoid arthritis, I have had it since I was 19. Although I am an esthetician and work with my hands all the time I like to find ways to make my life easier such as making the process of rolling out pie dough. You'll see here !
400 Preheated oven
1 egg (separated)
1 1/4 Cups all purpose flour
1/4 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/4 Tsp sea salt
1 Stick cold unsalted butter (cubed)*
3 Tbsp ice water
- Place all dry ingredients in a chilled bowl and using a pastry cutter mix in the cold butter until you have a dry clumpy mixture.
- Mix in water using your cutter until small clumps/balls form.
- Gather dough together into a ball. Do not knead it!
This is the part I told you I like to do to make it easier for me!
- Place your ball into the middle of a gallon ziplock bag.
- Roll out until the dough is thinner and completely flattened inside the closed ziplock bag.
- Refrigerate for an hour.
- Cut out one side of the bag and press bag down on an 8 inch pie pan.
- Carefully peel off bag. Cut off excess dough.
- Brush with egg white completely.
- Bake for 7 minutes then let cool for 10 minutes.
Now for the custard filling!
3/4 Cups white sugar
1/4 Tsp salt
1 1/2 Tsp vanilla
1 Cup heavy cream
1 1/2 Cups milk
- In a bowl whisk together 3 eggs and your leftover yolk and whatever was left of the whites you used to brush you pie.
- Add all your ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Pour mixture into pie crust and bake for 40 minutes on your middle oven rack.
- Pie is ready when knife inserted in center comes clean.
- Cool on wire rack then refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Here in So Cal we are waiting for the lockdown order as it seems like a huge possibility. Board games are out, pantries have been stocked for months and although I can admit I am frightened everything is well here in my little homestead.
We are going to start our summer garden any day now so I am looking forward to that!
Stay safe, wash your hands and love your family extra tonight!
Upvotes, resteems & Donations are loved! Grazie 💕