I like butter. Actually let me clarify that (no pun intended) I love butter! Although you can keep butter for a short time unrefrigerated it will eventually grow rancid and spoil. By clarifying it using this method you can save it in your pantry indefinitely and it actually tastes even better than regular butter!
Ghee is made when all water and solids are removed from unsalted butter. You know the yummy oil we dip crab and lobster in? Yup that’s kind of like this although this is tastier and does not contain filler oil. Sounds good huh! And it’s super easy to make!
4 Sticks unsalted butter
Stainless steel pot
- Melt butter in pot on low.Q
- When butter begins simmering and foam builds, skim this foam off with a spoon and discard.
- Continue doing this till very little foam remains.
- Continue stirring the butter until it reaches a light golden hue. Keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- When you see solids have started to form on the bottom remove your pot from the flame.
- Using a fine sieve, or cheese cloth as I have done, strain your butter into a clean and dry glass container. I like to loosely hold my cheesecloth in place using the canning lid ring. Careful as this is very hot oil!
- What you will have collected in your cloth are the solids! They are quite delicious and I like to toss them with veggies for a buttery nutty flavor.
- Put your lid on your jar(s) and keep in your pantry indefinitely.
I have ghee that I’ve made 7 years ago still fresh and delicious! Archeologists have discovered ghee that I s hundreds of years old that has not been spoiled! Amazing right?
Ghee has been used in Ayurvedic medicine as relief for dry eyes, aches joints, burns amongst other things. I prefer to use it in my cooking. It’s perfect on steaks, seafood, potatoes, rice, roasted vegetables and toast!
If you’re a prepper, like I am, you’ll find this is a great item to store in your pantry!
Have you ever made or tried ghee before?
I hope you are all staying healthy and safe!
Upvotes, resteems & Donations are loved! Grazie 💕