The importance of having life skills in a person’s life lies in his ability to adapt to all circumstances, and succeeding in the renaissance of societies and their prosperity, but the lack of life skills for the new generation these days is considered one of the most important problems that must be sought for quick solutions to them, because the outputs of educational institutions are lacking To life skills, and therefore many fail in their careers and personal life, because of the absence of these skills they have.
Definition of life skills
Life skills can be defined by several definitions, including:
The United Nations Children's Fund has defined life skills as a set of psychological and personal skills that help people make carefully considered decisions, communicate effectively with others, develop coping skills with surrounding circumstances, and manage oneself that leads to progress and success.
A set of personal behaviors and skills that bind each individual to deal with society with greater confidence and a high ability to make important decisions in his life, and that is most appropriate for him at all personal, social, sexual, and self-development levels in order to deal with others positively, and avoid falling into Crises, and overcome them when they occur.
Problem solving and decision making skill
It is known as a comprehensive evaluation of the skills that an individual has, to enable him to solve problems that impede him and cause an obstacle to him. As for the decision-making skill, it can be defined as the ability of the individual to pass a specific judgment on a situation he was exposed to after studying the different alternatives to him, and Ibrahim Al-Faqi states that what helps to Develop the skill of problem solving and decision making as follows:
- Control inner feelings, feelings, behavior, and action, whereby the individual has the ability to make the right decision.
- Making the right decision is a success for the self, and it is the result of continuous thinking that made the individual the ability to make a decision.
- A person must be clear in making decisions, and he must know what he wants, otherwise he will not achieve what he seeks.
- Not to be influenced by external pressures when making a decision, no matter how great the challenges are and the external influence is strong; where the internal feeling must be full of positivity and belief that opportunities still exist to achieve the set goals.
The skill of self-awareness and empathy
Self-awareness skill: It is the ability of the individual to be aware of the emotions that afflict him, and the emotions of others surrounding him, know what he feels, and use this knowledge to make successful and sound decisions.
The skill of empathy: Empathy is the ability of the individual to understand the feelings of others, whereas the skill of empathy is the ability of the individual to deal with the emotional reactions of others; where he has knowledge of other people's feelings, reading and distinguishing them through their voices, or what appears to them and not necessarily from what they say.
Creative thinking and critical thinking skill
The concept of thinking: Thinking is defined as the individual’s mental treatment of his sensory inputs, with the aim of forming ideas to perceive matters and surrounding them, then rationally judging them, and issuing a decision in them. It is worth noting that both (Holves, Smith and Palette) define thinking as not a description of something Rather, it is the use of existing information about one thing to find out something else, and this is called innovation.
Creative thinking skill: It is the method that makes the individual aware of the gaps in the missing elements, searching for indicators and evidence to fill these gaps and making the necessary adjustments. One of the features of creative thinking is that it is based on imagination, and this requires large imagination capabilities that are far from the surrounding reality, and far from thinking Logical, as is not governed by the rules of logic.
Critical thinking: It is the ability to distinguish between truth and opinion, the ability to elicit information, as well as knowledge of logical contradictions and the ability of the individual to predict.
Managing emotions and facing pressure skill
Emotion management is defined as the ability to control anger, the ability to control and control the emotions and feelings towards others, and psychological pressure is defined as a group of external factors that pressure the individual completely or partially, and make him tense, or may affect the integrity of his personality.
The skill of communicating with others
Interpersonal communication skills or what some people call interaction skills, social skills, or interpersonal skills, or social competence. This skill is characterized by the ability to learn by all people, regardless of their educational levels, or their personalities differ and are different. The skill of communicating with others needs To continuous training like all other skills, Ibrahim Al-Fiqi adds in his book Magic of the Word some of the things that develop the skill of communicating with others, namely:
- Start your day with optimism, as you choose to be happy or unhappy, as this is a personal choice.
- Convincing the soul that today will be better than yesterday, as yesterday is past and over, and tomorrow has not yet come, so he must occupy his thinking in the day he lives, and pass this idea on to the people around him.
- Familiarizing oneself with pronounced words with joy; they increase good relations and deal kindly, no matter how bad a person’s mood is.
- Accepting others and their attributes that they are, and avoiding permanent criticism and complaining about what comes out of them.