'“Silver is taken up rapidly by fungus spores, so that germination can be completely inhibited after a contact time of 1 minute or less.
Only mercury( I) and (II), and to a lesser extent copper, offer serious competition.”'
— Miller, Lawrence P., and McCallan, S.E.A. 1957. Toxic action of metal ions to fungus spores. Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 5(2), 116-122."
"The disorder is caused by excess silver ions in the body, which react when exposed to light (the same phenomenon that makes silver nitrate useful for developing photos) and form dark deposits in the skin. It's a rare but irreversible condition, and in most cases the culprit is overenthusiastic use of colloidal silver."