Bad Beats in the Splinterlands (1st post from CyGuy)

3년 전

Poker has a bad beat jackpot where if you have an amazing hand (like 4 aces) and lose to an even more amazing hand, you get a bad beat jackpot (usually $1 is taken out of every pot for weeks on end and goes to fund the jackpot). Well I think this one below deserves the 1 million DEC jackpot (please post a better one if you have it). This was the round of 8 in the wealthy gambit, Earthquake/Healed out rule set. Here were the lineups:

Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 6.31.30 PM.png

I felt good about my chances. All I needed was feral spirit and elven cutthroat to miss my Spirit of the Forest (SotF) twice and succumb to the earthquake and I was set. This is highly probable, as I understand it SotF has 5 for speed and flying, elven with his 4 for speed has a 65% chance to hit (25% chance to miss due to flying and 10% chance to miss due to speed difference), and feral spirit with 6 for speed has an 85% chance of landing a hit. What gives SotF a big edge is she has 9 health and 2 armor, so they need to land 4 hits on her and realistically only have 2 round to do it before their Lord A falls in the tank position. There is roughly a 30% chance they land 4 consecutive hits on SotF (0.650.650.85*0.85 = 0.3). They end up only landing 2/4 and we quickly end up in the following scenario:
Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 6.28.25 PM.png

At this point, I am looking up how much DEC I get for moving onto the next round, counting my chickens before they are hatched while patting myself on the back.

Just from a coc vs. coc standpoint, I would probably have a 40% chance to win, since I am down 1 armor but up 1 speed. I have swamp and earth elemental as well, but they are slow and chances of hitting the coc are low 20% for Swamp (1 speed vs. 5 with flying and dodge), and 30% for Earth (2 speed vs. 5 with flying and dodge), I would need 2 hits from Earth or 3 from swamp, or a mix which there is only ~10% chance of Earth and Swamp taking care of things for me.

BUT I have SofT! She is 6 speed vs. 4 speed with dodge (flying cancel out), so by my calculation, she has a 95% chance of hitting (20% speed advantage - 25% for dodge), goes to 85% once swamp dies and coc speed increases. So I think I have a 40% chance of coc winning on his own, 10% chance Swamp and Earth could do it, and 98% chance SotF can land a death blow in her 2 shots (after coc loses armor), the chances of one of these scenarios or a mix of these scenarios and me winning has to be >99%.

How does it end? Well based on the title you can guess. My coc lands 1 shot, swamp misses both, Earth misses both, SofT misses last 2 for the kill. Here is the full replay

Please confirm my understanding of chances for a dodge. And post your bad beats below.

I will harass aggroed about getting a DEC bad beat jackpot that is awarded at the end of every season.

Also on my wish list is a live odds or winning graphic like in Poker games on ESPN. I suspect mine was 80% at the beginning and was 99.9% for a bit.

Authors get paid when people like you upvote their post.
If you enjoyed what you read here, create your account today and start earning FREE STEEM!
Sort Order:  trending

That might be the worst beat I've ever seen in the Splinterlands.


Congratulations on a fantastic win. Best of luck in the rest of the tournament.

OMG ! its so weird ....

But Congrats on your first post ..

Wow, that's crazy!

I had a similar one where my Silvershield Paladin missed a Air Elemental in front position 3 times in a row and loss due to earthquake! It’s frustrating both ways! GG

Posted using Partiko iOS

Congratulations @cyguy! You have completed the following achievement on the Steem blockchain and have been rewarded with new badge(s) :

You published your First Post
You received more than 10 upvotes. Your next target is to reach 50 upvotes.

You can view your badges on your Steem Board and compare to others on the Steem Ranking
If you no longer want to receive notifications, reply to this comment with the word STOP

Vote for @Steemitboard as a witness to get one more award and increased upvotes!

Hey! Do you want blueprint III?
Send 97 steem with your user name in memo. Only one!
Offer is for limited time!