Hey, hey! Long time no see. Two reasons. First, I went to New Orleans for a week and I was off steemit during that time. Seriously, going somewhere and not taking a laptop and staying off social media generally, is great. Try it sometime. The world doesn't collapse. Second, the number of Team Australia recruits coming through is still slow so it's not worth doing an update some weeks.
I am in the process of writing a proper post about this so here's a spoiler-free snippet. From 31/08–03/09 a bunch of MSP peeps ( @aggroed, @clayboyn, @crimsonclad, @discordiant, @followbtcnews and myself) met up in New Orleans for the second international MSP meet-up. Since I want you to read my post (hopefully later this week), all I'll say is, it was really fun.
Do you run a community or contests?
Part of @curie's mission is to help grow steem communities. It therefore uses a portion of its witness rewards to fund various community initiatives. Going forward, @curie will publish a monthly post asking for applications from any established steem community that would like to apply for community-building support. If you're interested, check out this post for instructions on what you need to do.
Steem Monsters voice cast
Do you like @steemmonsters? You probably do. Most people seem to. Anyway, a while ago there was a voice audition call and on a whim one Saturday afternoon, I recorded myself and entered. That turned out to be a good move cos I found out last week that I got one of the parts. I will be lending my voice to the character Medusa. Congrats also to @nathankaye, who was the other Team Australia member to land a role (as Lightning Dragon). If you want to see the complete cast, go here.
Want a personalised Team Australia footer?
The usual community notices
You should follow @mrsquiggle, who is doing a great job recognising Aussie creativity by curating quality content.
If you have spare witness votes, you should consider voting for @curie as well as the MSP witnesses, particularly @ausbitbank and @aggroed, who've a done a great job in getting the MSP project off the ground. Current active Aussie witnesses include @ausbitbank, @bobdos, @idikuci [comedyopenmic witness], @jackmiller, @quochuy, @sapphic and @thekitchenfairy.
Check out @anzub, the Australian and New Zealand upvote bot in the Australia-New Zealand Discord server. You need to register to receive upvotes and delegations are welcome. Speak to @jackmiller if you have questions.
Lastly, if you're feeling generous, you can delegate SP to the Team Australia upvote bots @centerlink, @mrsquiggle and/or @anzub (or any other bot you like) using Vessel. You can delegate to any of the MSP bots using this link.
Name and bio
@frogman18 is a retiree from Sydney who used to work in electronics engineering. He likes music, art, museums, literature, science and computers.
"Way back in the 1960s, the cold war period, I was in the NATO forces in Germany. I decided to visit Holland one weekend and went to Nijmegen. After touring the city I went for a drink at a pub and when I ordered my drink in English (everybody in Holland seemed to speak English) a man came up to me and started a conversation. After a while he started asking me about how many people were at the NATO base, what aircraft were there and so on. I guessed he was a spy and let him buy me drinks all evening. He got nothing out of me because I didn't know any of the answers he wanted. When I got back to base I reported him to the military police and they laughed and said he was well known and the worst spy ever."
Lol. That is a great fun fact. And our first spy fun fact!
Name and bio
@drawmeaship is a French expat living in Melbourne. She works in a childcare centre and was previously a pastry chef. (That sounds so French!😁) She's into food, photos, travel, animals, and mindfulness.
Intro post here.
"Before we moved to in Australia, my partner, who is Australian, was teasing me saying that spiders in Australia were so big they have a health bar. I still check the room for spiders before I go to bed! Luckily I only found a big one once in 4 years."
Oh, checking for spiders is definitely sensible. You should keep doing that. Unsurprisingly, they are one thing I don't miss by not living in Australia.
Name and bio
@tomthetoaster is from North Queensland. His favourite discussion topics include Alan Watts, Elon Musk, and sci-fi.
Intro post here.
"I own two stick insects."
Hmm. I'm not sure how one owns a stick insect, but alright.
Congratulations everyone, you're now part of Team Australia.
The rules for joining Team Australia
If you’re not yet a member and want to be, this is what you need to do:
- Vote here for our resident steemit witness and our Minister for Welfare @ausbitbank.
- Send me your introduction post so I can find out a bit about you. If you’re new to steemit you'll have to write one so use the introduceyourself and teamaustralia tags to help boost your following. Use this handy guide if you don't know what to write.
- If it’s not mentioned in your introductory post, tell me which city and country you’re in, cos let's face it, a lot of us live in Australia's fourth largest city—London. You need to have a connection to Australia to join.
- Tell me a fun fact about yourself. This can be anything. For example, maybe you have eight kids and three dogs, or you rode your bike across America, or you won the blue ribbon for javelin throwing at sports day back in high school, or Toadie came into the pub you work at one day and you served him a beer, or, maybe you can fit 55 maltesers in your mouth like Ed Sheeran can. It doesn’t matter what it is, I want a fun fact about you! The more fun, the better.
- Regularly check the Team Australia and Australia tags and upvote/follow the content you like. You can show your support by following the centerlink curation trail in steemauto. Instructions are here.
- Comment below or DM me in PAL-Discord that you want to join.
Once I receive this information I will try my best to write a good introductory paragraph about you for the official Team Australia membership updates. So the better your information is, the better I can make you sound. Where relevant, please use the teamaustralia and australia tags to promote your work. I will try and post weekly updates.
Gif by @justcallmemyth
Team Australia footer by @bearone
Page divider by @kristyglas