Back in August, before I disappeared for 4 months, I was writing a series of posts about keto and fasting. I was aiming to summarise 30+ hours of a summit into a series of useful posts. I will be getting back onto that series soon, and will recap what we covered. But for now, as promised, here’s what I ate yesterday.
One important thing with a keto diet is to record, weigh and measure everything. If you don’t, you really can’t tell whether you are sticking to your correct ratios, and that can be a recipe for disaster. If you don’t know what you’re aiming for, how can you tell if you’re on target?
What I’m aiming for generally
After about 5 months of eating keto pretty consistently, experimenting and muscle testing, I’ve found that this is what works for me.
• Calories = about 1800-1850 for maintenance / about 1650-1700 for gently releasing excess fat
• Protein = Optimum is 105 grams a day, but not more than 120
• Carbs = Optimum is about 24 grams a day
• Fat = whatever is required to make up the calories
• Calories = 1700
• Protein = 105 grams
• Carbs = 24 grams
• Fat = roughly 130 grams
• 1 cup water
• 3 frozen cubes of coconut cream (equal to about 4 Tablespoons)
• 1 teaspoon hemp oil
• 1 Tablespoon MCT oil
• 1 free range egg
• 34 grams Ancient Nutrition bone broth protein powder
• 40 grams frozen blueberries
• 1 teaspoons lakanto (monkfruit & erythritol)
• ½ teaspoon Pure Synergy whole food vitamin C powder
• Squirt of vitamin B drops
• Squirt of minerals
I forgot to take a photo till I was partway through drinking it. Not a fancy photo either, just how I was having it, out of a 700ml coconut yoghurt jar!
• 1 tin wild pink salmon, drained
• 30 grams homemade mayo
• 45 grams diced kohl rabi
Plus 20 grams of macadamias (which is only about 12 halves).
I completely forgot to take a photo, but it wouldn’t have been very exciting anyway, it was a bit monochrome.
• 150gm eye fillet steak
• Sauteed in a very large dollop of butter
• 40gm fermented ginger carrots
Followed by 50 grams fresh raspberries
This added up to
• Calories = 1696
• Protein = 111 grams = 26%
• Carbs = 24 grams = 6%
• Fat = 129 grams = 68%
I won’t do this every day, as it could get very dull. Maybe tomorrow I’ll share the homemade mayo recipe.
Thanks for reading.
Top pic from Pixabay, edited by me. Photos by me.
Follow me for more health, nutrition, food, lifestyle and recipe posts. Archives of my posts from 2016 to 2108: