GitHub Repository: https://github.com/4ian/GDevelop
GDevelop keeps it simple in their website. It defines itself as "an open-source, cross-platform game creator designed to be used by everyone - no programming skills required.", and it stays true to its promise that "no programming skills are required" by keeping the instructions in the manual simple, with concise explanation of the terms being used.
This is my second contribution for the localization of this project, and I have been perusing its website and wiki pages this past week in efforts to get a good grasp of what I am translating. It is one of the most challenging translation projects I have encountered, as the terms used have various meanings in the Filipino language. Translators, like me, must determine which term would fit best according to how the word is used. Let me give you an example:
In Image 1, I translated the word move to the highlighted Filipino word Ilipat to signify that the user (in this case, the one creating a game) is to move the object from one place to another. While in Image 2, the same word move was translated to the highlighted Filipino word pagalawin to signify that the object could have the function to move up, down, left, and right.
As challenging as it may be, I am glad to have been given the opportunity to be part of such a wonderful project in my own little way. I have tried some of the games that were created in the GDevelop platform, like Mega Panic Pixel by NanoSoft, and I found great delight in them. I think it's awesome that there is such a platform that empowers everyone to actually create a game that once was only a vision.
The screenshot above, taken from Crowdin Reports, shows that I worked on the strings between the 16th and 17th of November. I translated 1237 words to 1521 Filipino words. The difference only means it takes more Filipino words to express a thought. To give you an example of what I mean, here's another screenshot of a string that I translated.
As you can see, it took 5 Filipino words to cohesively express the statement which originally had 3 words. The screenshot below, taken from my Activity Page, shows more translated strings.
To abide by the translation guidelines set by GDevelop, I did not translate technical terms and variables present in the strings. There weren't a lot though and I encountered only a handful while doing the translations in the past two days, including:
- Collision Mask
Crowdin Translation Report:
Project Page : https://crowdin.com/project/gdevelop
Filipino Translation Project : https://crowdin.com/translate/gdevelop/1/en-fil
Source Language : English
Translated Language : Filipino
Number of Words: 1237
Previous Contributions to this Project:
Proof of Work
All these information may be found in the following links:
Once again, a note of thanks to @utopian-io and @davinci.witness - for considering my application to be part of the Filipino Translation Team, to the Filipino Language moderator @ruah - for the continuous guidance and patience - and of course, to my fellow translators, @toffer, @marou27, @timliwanag, @josephace135, who are all working together to ensure our translations come out seamless.