For many years I have worked as a statistics lecturer but done statistical consulting on the side. Recently I decided to start my own company and do consulting, together with statistics training and eventually some online courses, full-time.
The utopian-io platform seems like a good space for me to blog about statistics/data science and also test some of my training material and ideas. Here are a few ideas that I have had for future blog posts:
- What is data science and how does it differ from statistics? Whilst the distinction may not seem important, it can be crucial when you are looking to recruit a particular skill-set.
- Reporting and documenting 101 - how to correctly report your analysis (this is at the forefront of my mind having just inherited an analysis project where the reporting and documenting has not been well done.
- Examples of where bad statistics has lead to bad decision making.
- Why false positives (and true negatives) are so important to consider in the age of machine learning.
- Guides to the R statistics software - I have used R for 21 years and it is my go to tool for statistical analysis.
- Technical analysis - how to read candlestick charts and other crypto/stock trading tools.
- Bias, sample, and data collection - how to avoid pitfalls and spot dubious data.
Are you interested in learning more about statistics/data science? What kind of content would most interest you?
I would welcome any feedback on the topics above and any other topics that you might be interested in (whether they are philosophical or technical, broad or specific).